Joseph Charles Schwartz
August 25, 1933 to April 8, 2008
I've not blogged in so long but I thought that I must put my feelings on "paper" about Grandpa Joe.
My feelings for Joe weren't clear to me until he became ill. As one of my father-in-laws for my entire marriage to Dave, I always thought of him as my children's grandfather. I had a father and lost him. I never envisioned him as anything else.When Joe was given the diagnosis of cancer, like so many other families before us, we were just devastated. The doctors gave us the weekend when we brought him home with the help of hospice. The Lord was generous and gave us two months. Two more months with a man who was the best grandfather my children could have had. The man who loved his children. The man who married Jane and accepted my brother in law as his own, raising him to adulthood, without a word of regret. The man who took my 13 year old shopping to Kohls so she could get some new shoes and if I remember it correctly it was the day after Thanksgiving to boot. The man who taught my kids to fish. The man who provided a place for my children and niece and nephews to spend long, lazy fun summer days in Michigan. The man who taught my daughter to fish and my sons how to play cards. The man who even taught my children (I am sure) a few off color words.
In short, Joe was a wonderful man. He is also the man who brought my children together. Having a big family, there are many personalities and even conflicts in my family. I could not resist snapping this photo after the funeral. My children, at times, seem as if they couldn't agree on a single thought. Here in this photo, they are clearly together with my Mother in Law in agonizing grief. Left to right - Jarred, David Jr with Jason's leg barely showing, Michael, Samantha and Jane. This photo tears my heart out and brings tears to my eyes.
I must tell you though that he was one of the bravest men I know. He faced his death bravely, living each day to the fullest possible with his illness. Up until the Sunday before his death, he was out of bed, visiting with family, eating, playing with the grandkids and enjoying life. He accepted Christ as his Savior and was baptized immediately after coming home. He is at home now in peace and not in pain.

6 comments:
amazing jill...what heartfelt journaling. hugs to you!
Beautiful and touching journaling, Jill.
Jill, tissue alert is right. Your family has been so blessed with such an amazing man guiding each and every one. Big Hugs! I'm sure it helps to get your thoughts all down and you did it beautifully! So sorry for your loss!
I'm sorry for your family's loss Jill, your journaled memories are precious and beautiful! Thank you for sharing. It's a wonderful thing to see a family coming together at times like this, Mary
I'm so glad you blogged your thoughts Jill. What an incredible man! I'm glad you all had as much time as you did with him. Hugs!
So sorry for your loss....this is a beautiful tribute to him.
Post a Comment