Friday, December 16, 2005

Dream Design team and the Nightmare of an Insurance Company

I must acknowledge the wonderful design team that I am on. After I posted the information about the great fall of 2005, they gathered around me (as they did after my mom's death) and collected enough money to meet out deductible for our household insurance. The wonderful team (Past and present members included) supported us in a way that we would have never thought possible. I have posted on the design team board, my thank yous but need to make it public now. Their generosity has helped us get as far as we are in the repairs. This and their support and love makes them my "dream" design team.

My insurance company on the other hand... is a nightmare. We filed a claim with them, they sent an adjustor and then sent us the following email...

Mrs. Utrup,I have received the appraiser's report. A more formal letter will be sent shortley. I wanted to inform you that it is the appraiser's opinion that the cabinets fell because of wear and tear. (the hole where the cabinets were anchored became loose and the weight of the cabints cause them to fall) This is more of a maintenance issue and therefore there is no coverage for the cabinets, walls and ceiling However the ensuing damage is covered ie items in the cabinets etc etc etc...

Ahhhh so the nightmare begins. When we added up the loss of contents only (since we could not claim the wall, ceiling,cupboards or carpet damage) We no longer could add up cost to have replaced to $500. Thus we haven't got any settlement from them.

With the money that we have gotten from scrapaddict, we have replaced all of our dishes (placesettings), glasses, drywalled and plastered the wall so it would match our other walls, painted and bought materials for a shelf to put along the wall to hold cereal etc until we can afford the cupboards AND bought a new storage unit for the back porch (Conneted to the kitchen) to store all the stuff that was in the bottom cupboards. Most of the stuff that was in the upper cupboards has now been moved to the bottom cupboards. (PLEASE NOTE: THE ONLY THING WE ARE WAITING FOR THE INCOME TAX FOR IS THE ACTUAL UPPER CUPBOARDS.)

Hopefully soon, we will be done with this roundtable of repairs. It has been a long time since the cupboards fell. I'll be happy, hopefully this week (BEFORE CHRISTMAS EVE) to have it completed (minus the actual cupboards.)

THANKS Felicia and the SCRAPADDICT DESIGN TEAM!
(www.scrapaddict.com)








No comments: