Saturday, December 03, 2005

Emergency Squad

Phone rings... You can hear this voice on the answering machine but I don't hardly recognize it. It is Dave from the hospital. Apparently, he was driving along yesterday and started to sweat bullets. He started to feel as if he was going to pass out. Same symptoms that he had in July when his blood pressure bottomed out and he nearly passed out. He had tried to call the house earlier and couldn't wake us. So he did the wise thing and called 911. By the time I get to the Emergency Room, he is hooked up to all the stuff and sleeping soundly. I search for answers with his nurse because I can't wake him. She explains that they haven't given him anything to make him sleep, it must be his sugar or his heart. GASP! Heart... don't say HEART! Long story short, it was his sugar. We spent most of the day at the hospital with him sleeping. He slept so hard that they even checked his sugar 2 times on his finger and he never even stirred. Amazing... it was scary. Almost like he was in a coma. SHIVERS!

He is fine today, acting as if nothing happened. Except we are both really bothered by this. He drives in remote areas during his day. We are buying orange juice to keep with him and making him eat breakfast. A blood sugar of 46 is nearly dead! And to be driving too.

Well... enough of this depressing stuff... off to do breakfast. Yesterday's dishes... THEN SCRAPBOOKING!



3 comments:

Carolyn F said...

Pharmacies sell a jar or tube of "glucose tablets" made for such emergencies, and they are easier to carry than juice. Been there too sweetie, I'm so sorry you had such a scare!

Just Say Julie said...

oh crap jill that's scary! glad he's lookin' so happy today!

Pam Sivage said...

That is so scary Jill! glad he is up and going today!!